Monday, December 6, 2010

6th Day of December......

I got one more little ornament done and now I have to put them together but right now I am sewing flower stems on a new quilt, long long flower stems. So as I was sitting here, I was thinking to myself - How far back could I remember about Christmas time? How far back can you remember? I remember my grandma coming to stay with us for the holidays. It was just my mom and I so to have someone come stay with us was pretty exciting. I think I have also discovered when I fell in love with needlework. Although it wasn't really needlework. I haven't ever really loved getting lots of presents, I rather enjoy decorating the house and going Christmas shopping for the people I love but when grandma came she brought this little tin. I was more excited about that tin than the presents she brought (I hope I didn't make her feel bad). Inside were these wonderful paint tubes. Do you remember them? You could paint on fabric and grandma did the most wonderful pieces with those paints. They were all messy and I still can remember the horrible smell .... She would always bring a little project just for me to do. My grandma always quilted or made rag rugs. She lived in he Ozarks and she made a lot of rugs to sell. She always wanted me to continue to make them but I never enjoyed sewing the old pieces of fabric into long tubes and sewing them into circles. For hours I would lay on the floor and paint while she was with us. I guess you would call that liquid embroidery because my next memory is going to the 5 and dime store and staring at all the wonderful floss wishing I could have it all.........
Photobucket

1 comment:

sufolks said...

My earliest Christmas memories are of spending the day at my Grandmother's. Just fleeting memories, but a feeling of excitement in them, and a child's wonder.
Suzanne
Window On The Prairie