Tuesday, July 27, 2010

2 Down - 2 To GO....

I love this quilt, I didn't love it until I put those borders on and then it all came alive. Now it has to go to the expert quilter, that wouldn't be me. I enjoyed doing the little pumpkins on the new little quilt but if the truth be told, I drew some pumpkins on it and followed the line!

If you notice on my blog I am starting to put some quilters and their websites. When our children started coming along we decided that I should quit work and be a full time mom. Well goodness it only took me 3 years to have each child and I really wanted to enjoy every moment with them! When they got to be about 7 or 8 I started to quilt. I have always loved to sew but really didn't know how to make a quilt. I remember on cold winter days when the kids where in school I would go sit in one of their rooms, the sun always would shine through their windows and warm me up. I would sit on the floor, lean against a wall and read for hours (I should have been sewing or cleaning but oh how I love to read about the quilting world). I would collect magazines or books on quilting and try to learn everything I could. My grandma quilted and she sent me some patterns and fabric, but I didn't really have a clue what to do with it all. She lived far away in Arkansas and I couldn't just run over and get some help. I knew how to sew, I made every one's clothes, even my husbands suits! But, good gravy, what do you do with little pieces of fabric and how do you make it two sided?? We lived in a small town and we had a fabric shop but I don't remember any quilting supplies being there so my magazines and books where my best friends. I loved Quilter's Newsletter, I still have the first one I bought. I am surprised the print is not worn off! So I am making a column so you can go and read about some of the people that shared all their talent, knowledge and beautiful quilts with us all and continue to do so today......

Well I am happy to report the kids turned out very well and my quilting has gotten better through the years. Down the road I will share about some of my early quilts. Well I better get started on Quilt #3............ Have an awesome day!

No comments: