Saturday, August 14, 2010

Wall of Needlework....

Years ago I designed needlework and I loved it - well I guess anything using a needle and thread I pretty much love. (Not all these pieces are my designs). I can remember going to my first trade show. The first morning you have to go to the show room floor and build your space. Too bad they didn't have Design Star back then, I could have really used their help! Before you go they send your information on picking a carpet - well I guess that is all you get to pick...... Now most of the designers drove and they could bring all kinds of cute things for their booths, I flew so all my booth elements where packed in my suitcases ): so sad, anyway I walked onto the trade floor and it was wonderful. I walked by all my favorite designers. I had read about these ladies for years and here they where in person! They where just like me, dressed in jeans and working hard on their spaces, trust me that's where it ended. The next day they were stars at the show!!
A few years later I met a very special lady, CeCe from The Thread Gatherer. I started using her silk threads in my designs and wrote a letter to her telling her how much I loved her threads and sent her one of my patterns. She was so generous, she sent me a large envelope full of threads - I was in heaven! For the next trade show we went to, she had me design a piece for her give-away gift to all her customers, I was honored to do so. I still keep mine as a keepsake. Her family just welcomed me in, they came and took me to breakfast and dinner that weekend. I also discovered that CeCe and I had a lot of things in common! We loved to quilt, read and I guess most of all design things. Now she is making wonderful soaps. I don't make soap but I do have my kids buy Lavender Soap from Trader Joe's in California and bring it to me! We would have made great neighbors! Well anyway, this week I was reading the Shepherd's Bush blog (they design wonderful needlework) and I see that they are having their retreat again this year and guess who is teaching there? CeCe! I was so excited to see that is she going to be at the retreat. The ladies that take her class will have a lovely time! If you have time to go the Shepherd's Bush web page and take a tour of their shop you will love it too! Someday I am going in person.........
But for today I have to go save my grass and trees from this heat...........



1 comment:

The Thread Gatherer said...

You are far too kind with your comments Liz, as it is I who was most fortunate to meet you. Now we are getting reconnected. How lovely this is!! Cece