Saturday, October 23, 2010

Need to Get Out More....

Yesterday I put a picture of my scraps on this blog. Then this morning I saw a picture of material at Stashmanicure.blogspot.com. How much fun is that!!! Can you imagine how many quilts a person could make - my poor head would be spinning for sure. Does your Wal-Mart still have fabric? One store on the west side of Oklahoma City still does and I can get the best muslin there. So tomorrow after church I am going over there and get enough to do long strips for this quilt. I am thinking plaid flowers and nice green leaves all the way down would be so cute.
Thank-you for the nice comments and encouragment to try making a scrap quilt. I have a question - when you make a block do you just pick up a piece of fabric and sew it or do you try to make it look a little like it belongs there? So far I am liking it - I didn't throw it away at least (I'm pretty good at that if it doesn't look good). I wonder how far I will get before I have to have a few more pieces of fabric to go with.....
Photobucket

1 comment:

D. Leigh said...

I make each block as if it were going to stand alone, when making my sampler style scrape quilts. I place the blocks on the flannel board to see if there are color combinations I should be working with to make the whole quilt pleasing to the eye. Also, I do not like to make my sampler quilts merely blocks surrounded with sashes. I make my sampler quilts in block sizes of 12, 8, 4 inches and mix and match throughout the entire quilt. A really good example, (and one I am working on in my own blog right now) is the one in the 2009/2010 Winter edition of McCalls Quilting called "A Grateful Heart". They are really fun quilts to make a wonderful way to use up scrapes.