Thursday, December 16, 2010

16th Day of December.......


Christmas Shopping has certainly changed since I was a little kid why even the wish list system has changed! Last night I received an email titled Little Kid (thats my nickname for my daughter). I didn't know if it was an email I should open or not but took my chances only because I'm pretty nosy and just had to see what was in it. A store that she loves sent her wish list to me! A few clicks and the Christmas present would be on the way to my house - if I should decide to buy that is.

When I was a little kid we got the Sears Christmas Wish Book and would spend hours staring at each page - do you remember all the dollies in the pink section of the book? Loved all the new dollies for the year..... then mom and I would get all dressed in our Sunday best and head out for a whole day of Christmas shopping. We would take the bus Downtown, a true adventure in itself. Downtown was a delight in itself, festive with lights and decorated windows. We would spend half the morning just enjoying the windows and then go to my favorite store, Woolworths. I still can remember it being jammed packed. The stables for the manager sets were stacked everywhere, colored lights were hung around the walls, popcorn popping and music was playing. One aisle had the window decorations. Do you remember the pieces of cardboard that had cutouts of trees, ornaments and Santa's. We would tape them to the windows at home and spray snow and da da - decorated windows. Then the ornament aisle, boxes and boxes of beautiful oranments and then the coloring books! I always got to get a new Christmas coloring book and sometimes they had stickers in the back - Loved it. On to the lunch counter, mom and I would get a little lunch before heading to the big department store. On the 3rd floor of the department store was the needlework and yarn section. I never got to buy anything there I was too little but I still can remember looking at all the needlepoint pieces - they were laying in a big square open bin, I just loved looking at all the beautiful pieces. I'm sure mom was doing some shopping but honestly I just don't remember any of it. When we finished we would go to Edy's Ice Cream Parlor. Pink and black everywhere. Pink walls and little black tables and chairs. They were known for their ice cream sundaes and let me tell you I was never disappointed! We would read the menu front and back and making the decision was very intense. Finally the big moment came and here came those sundaes - ahhhhh ice cream delight....... Something about clicking your mouse just isn't the same.......
Photobucket

No comments: