Saturday, March 26, 2011

America......


America is pretty amazing. I could have taken the most beautiful photos but unfortunately my hands were glued to my steering wheel most of the time. We got a late start leaving Oklahoma and got lost in Kansas. Who knew that I35 and 35N were two different roads? Mapquest wasn't very clear..... So for the first night we paid for two hotel rooms about 50 miles apart from each other. The next morning we got back on track and saw some great little farms in Kansas. I thought to myself this is were the sunflowers grow and if I were to come back in the fall it would be pretty amazing to see hundreds of my favorite flowers! It was a beautiful day and every other car or SUV passing us up had Oklahoma license plates. I finally figured out that it was spring break and most of Oklahoma was headed to the mountains for a week of fun. I have always wanted to see the Rockies up close and after about 6 hours of driving I got my first glimpse. What a beautiful place to live - if you like lots of snow. The only bad thing about Colorado they don't have gas stations on every corner. Our UHaul truck like to stop on every corner and have a drink so we almost ran out of gas. A kind older gentlemen at Costco helped us out and told us where to find the nearest station. One precious hour wasted. We had a hotel waiting for us in Wyoming and we needed to get there. Up up up we went and it got darker and darker and then the snow came. If you know anything about me, I don't drive in bad weather let alone in whiteout conditions. At first the snow kept coming at the windshield and it wasn't sticking but after an hour or so it started to stick and freeze. We were so close to our hotel you could almost see the lights but all of a sudden I couldn't see the road (in these cases unglue your fingers from the steering wheel and turn the defoster on) finally I got off the freeway and found a gas station. We had to get back on the freeway and get off at the next exit to a nice warm hotel, of course using one's defoster helps to see out the window.....
Part 2 tomorrow....
Photobucket

No comments: