Monday, December 15, 2014

Christmas Joy - Day One....

I have been listening to the beautiful old 
Christmas Carols this year
I thought you might enjoy
learning a bit of history.....
So here is the story of Silent Night
"In 1847, Placide Cappeau de Roquemaure was the commissionaire of wines in a small French town. Known more for his poetry than his church attendance, it probably shocked Placide when his parish priest asked the commissionaire to pen a poem for Christmas mass. Nevertheless, the poet was honored to share his talents with the church.
In a dusty coach traveling down a bumpy road to France's capital city, Placide Cappeau considered the priest's request. Using the gospel of Luke as his guide, Cappeau imagined witnessing the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem. Thoughts of being present on the blessed night inspired him. By the time he arrived in Paris, "Cantique de Noel" had been completed.
Moved by his own work, Cappeau decided that his "Cantique de Noel" was not just a poem, but a song in need of a master musician's hand. Not musically inclined himself, the poet turned to one of his friends, Adolphe Charles Adams, for help.

The son of a well-known classical musician, Adolphe had studied in the Paris conservatoire. His talent and fame brought requests to write works for orchestras and ballets all over the world. Yet the lyrics that his friend Cappeau gave him must have challenged the composer in a fashion unlike anything he received from London, Berlin, or St. Petersburg.

As a man of Jewish ancestry, for Adolphe the words of "Cantique de Noel" represented a day he didn't celebrate and a man he did not view as the son of God. Nevertheless, Adams quickly went to work, attempting to marry an original score to Cappeau's beautiful words. Adams' finished work pleased both poet and priest. The song was performed just three weeks later at a Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve."

Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Movies/The-Nativity-Story/The-Amazing-Story-Of-O-Holy-Night.aspx#xdwByyp8H7piC18M.99

I do so love counted cross-stitch
ornaments
I found this one online while on vacation.
There is no way I could 
stitch all these 
Prairie Schooler Santa's 
this year or even by next but
I have started one in the evenings
&
hopefully by next year will have a 
small collection for my tree.
Its absolutely beautiful.

My tree....
Enjoy your week!
Elizabeth Ann

2 comments:

Farm Girl said...

That is a lovely story. I love that tree. I have always wished I had cross stitch ornaments too. Have a lovely day.

Carol said...

Priscilla's PS Santa tree is one of my favorites, too--such a beauty! And I enjoyed reading about the creation of "Silent Night"--always one of my favorite carols.